Battle The Holiday Bulge And WIn
by: Dianne Villano
Halloween Ã¢â‚¬â€œ so starts the Holiday Season. The average American gains 7-12 pounds between Halloween and New YearÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s . The next series of articles will help you ensure that you wonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t be among them. First, Halloween. As Halloween rears itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s head, so does the plethora of wonderful smelling chocolates and other treats that tempt us as we walk through the aisles of our favorite stores. I will cover some tips, tricks and nutrition information for many of the popular candies to help you make the best choices . The moral is - if you can count it and limit it to a single serving , you can work it into your food plan and enjoy the Holiday festivities without sacrificing your fitness goals.
1. Keep your goals firmly planted in your mind. We all get Ã¢â‚¬Å“caught upÃ¢â‚¬Â from time to time. While in Ã¢â‚¬Å“the momentÃ¢â‚¬Â, it is quite easy to lose sight of your ultimate vision and why you began your fitness or fatloss programs to begin with. I always spend time, prior to the beginning of the Holiday season, reinforcing our clientÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ã¢â‚¬Å“WhyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢sÃ¢â‚¬Â. How will your life be better when you are living at your goal weight? What will you be wearing? How will you be feeling? Where will you feel more confident or energetic ?How are you feeling in your current condition? Why the heck do you want to lose this weight anyway? Keep them handy for a constant reminder of why you do want to make the choices that will lead you to your goal .
2. Keep an eye on serving sizes and portions Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Any food (even not so healthy ones) can be worked into your food plan, itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s just a matter of awareness and balance. Many people label foods Ã¢â‚¬Å“goodÃ¢â‚¬Â or bad. In reality, it is all about portions and serving sizes.
3. Make a plan - If you are like most people, you grab a Ã¢â‚¬Å“treatÃ¢â‚¬Â or two every time you walk past the bowl. This can add up to hundreds of calories before you know it. Plan ahead and count a few treats into your food plan ahead of time. Count them out in advance and place them in a separate bowl or dish. This will keep you from feeling Ã¢â‚¬Å“deprivedÃ¢â‚¬Â and still allow you to stay on track towards your goals.
4. Avoid the Ã¢â‚¬Å“All or nothingÃ¢â‚¬Â mentality. LetÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s face it, no oneÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s perfect Chances are, there will be a time when you go overboard. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t let this lead into a Ã¢â‚¬Å“I already blew itÃ¢â‚¬Â binge that lasts until January 1st. No one or two days is going to make or break your fat loss efforts. Get right back on track the next day and consider adding some extra cardio in to work off the extra calories.
5. What is in YOUR candy bowl ? This can make a significant difference in how you manage your weight throughout the Holiday. Be aware, however, that Ã¢â‚¬Å“healthierÃ¢â‚¬Â does not necessarily mean Ã¢â‚¬Å“fewer caloriesÃ¢â‚¬Â , that Ã¢â‚¬Å“low fatÃ¢â‚¬Â does not mean that you can eat twice as much, and that Ã¢â‚¬Å“lo carbÃ¢â‚¬Â usually means more calories.
6. Choose candy you don't like: You will be less apt to eat out of habit and Ã¢â‚¬Å“take a piece or twoÃ¢â‚¬Â if you are not surrounded by your favorites
7. Choose alternatives to candy: Give out dried fruits, nuts, raisins, cheese and cracker packets, pretzels, popcorn , or fruit roll-ups for a more healthful Ã¢â‚¬Å“treatsÃ¢â‚¬Â
8. Choose low-calorie treats: Things like Licorice, popcorn, gummy bears mints and marshmallows are all lower calorie alternatives
9. Choose small portions: Buy fun-sized chocolates instead of their full sized counterparts. DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget to count out in advance your allotted servings for the day.
10. Choose non-food alternatives: You can still enjoy the holiday festivities and keep the trick or treaters happy. Many stores and holiday shops carry a multitude of Halloween miniature toys, cars, glow-in-the-dark necklaces and other fun little goodies.
Dianne Villano is the president of CUSTOM BODIES which has been serving the Tampa Bay with fatloss and body shaping programs since 1996 Dianne is a contributing writer for over 20 on and offline media outlets. You can grab a FREE copy of her ULTIMATE HOLIDAY FITNESS SURVIVAL GUIDE Ã¢â‚¬â€œ How to Actually Lose Weight Throughout the Holidays at www.mypersonalfitnesscoach.com/TheULTIMATEHOLIDAYSURVIVALGUIDE.HTM
To find other free health content see e-healtharticles.com