7 Ways to Increase Metabolism and Lose Weight
by: Andrew Bicknell
If you are tired of trying the latest diet fad and getting little or now results then maybe it’s time you tried the time honored method of losing weight. By a simple increase in your metabolism you can start to burn more calories and actually lose weight without having to starve yourself. The best part of increasing your metabolism is it is the best way to keep the weight of too. Metabolism is basically the rate at which your body burns calories. The higher it goes the more calories it consumes.
“But how do I do that?” you ask. Here are 7 ways that you can increase your metabolism and lose that excess baggage.
1. Sleep more – You need at a minimum 8 hours of sleep per night. Studies have been done that show people who sleep less then 8 hours per night have a slower metabolism then those who get in a good nights rest. Also those who do not get enough sleep tend to eat more during the day trying to keep their energy levels up, which is not good when your metabolism has slowed down.
2. Evening exercise – As the day progresses our metabolic rate declines so that by the time late afternoon and early evening arrive we are no longer burning calories at the rate we were in the morning. Take a quick walk or do some other form of exercise that revs up your metabolic engine. It doesn’t have to be a full blown workout, just get the heart pumping and the blood flowing.
3. Get moving – Getting your body moving is a great way to increase metabolism. Go for a walk at lunch instead of surfing the internet at work, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park you car in the space farthest away from the door where you work, things like this will go a long ways towards burning excess calories.
4. Eat some protein – Protein helps stabilize the amount of insulin in your bloodstream. Too much or too little insulin can play havoc with your metabolism.
5. Eat more meals – The key to increasing your metabolism is keeping a consistent flow of calories throughout the day. Instead of eating three big meals eat 5 or 6 smaller meals during the day. This gives you body a consistent supply of energy all day long. And don’t skip meals; this can actually slow down your metabolism.
6. The food you eat – Eat nutritious high fiber foods. By eating healthy you give your body the nutrients it needs to run efficiently. In fact it is believed that some foods require so much digestive processing that they actually burn more calories then they contain.
7. Lift some weights – Lean muscle mass burns lots of calories. Lifting weights not only shapes your body but as your muscles rebuild and recover after a workout they continue to burn large amounts of calories. This means you can actually lose weight while your are resting.
By following these 7 metabolism increasing tips you can turn your body into a fat burning machine. And the best part is no more strange diets that leave you feeling hungry and tired all day long.
For more ways to increase your metabolism and for more information about how your metabolism works please click here.
To find other free health content see e-healtharticles.com